Nine Sources Causing Water Damage in Asheville
SERVPRO Can Protect Your Asheville Home from Water Damage
Residential property owners in Asheville can find themselves dealing with a wide range of home maintenance issues resulting in water damage. Water leaks can be not only an irritant but also inconvenient and expensive. However, understanding more about where water leaks tend to take place can empower you to prevent them. To get the information you need regarding this important matter, SERVPRO suggests you review the short outline provided below:
Where Do Water Leaks Take Place? As many water damage restoration experts know, water leaks can happen in numerous places within the home setting. However, there are several places where water leaks are particularly prevalent. Here are nine of them:
1. Washing Machines. Washing machines are hotbeds for leaks. The drain hose, usually anchored to a wall and the supply lines located behind the washing machine can rupture at any time.
2. Water Supply Lines. The plumbing system within your home operates under water pressure ranging from 40 to 60 p.s.i. Be sure to check periodically for water pooling under sinks. Know where your main water line cut-off valve is located.
3. Water Heaters. When your water heater tank fails, your entire home could flood. Luckily, the tank failure is typically preceded by signs indicating minor leakages, such as rusting around the supply lines or lower base of the tank. Set the tank in an overflow safety pan.
4. Commodes. If your toilet becomes clogged, turn off the water supply to prevent overflowing by continual flushing. Try using a plunger to remove the debris before calling a plumber.
5. Sewer/Sump Pump. A sewer blockage can send raw sewage (black water) into your residential space in Asheville. The sewage will typically gravitate to the lower drains of your basement. E Coli and other contaminants must be removed and the area professionally sanitized. SERVPRO has the experienced technicians, equipment, and chemical products to ensure the rturn of cleanliness and safety of your home.
6. Heavy Appliances. Refrigerators can become the source of water leaks if the icemaker line ruptures. Additionally, the dishwasher's supply line can leak, or the drain line may disconnect from the sink drainage pipe and go unnoticed for an extended period. Check frequently for moisture accumulation under the kitchen sink.
7. Sinks And Showers. Missing caulking or grout can enable water to slip through your shower and tub enclosures into the walls creating a conducive condition for mold growth. Additionally, faucets are prone to wearing out. Replace or fix these taps before a drip becomes a serious leak.
8. HVAC Equipment. Drain line clogs in your air conditioning unit can cause overflow water leakage. Have a micro switch installed to activate a small pump in the air-handler catch pan for water removal. Utilize algicides to prevent clogging and a maintenance schedule for your entire system.
9. Gutters. Gutters and downspouts may need leaf-catchers to ensure proper rainwater drainage. Inspect for debris and eliminate the potential of structural damage to trusses, fascias, and soffits
Let SERVPRO Fix Your Water Leak Challenge
The IICRC-certified technicians of SERVPRO are here to assist you. If your Asheville home requires service to rectify water damage call us. Our technicians have extensive industry experience, training, and equipment to return your property to pre-water damage condition. With over 55 years of experience and 1,650 franchises, our great reputation and expertise speak for itself. Our goal is your complete satisfaction.
Locally Owned and Operated
We live and work in Asheville too. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Asheville East is close by and ready to respond to your water or flood damage emergency. We are proud to be an active member of the Asheville, Black Mountain, and Weaverville communitues and want to do our part to make our community the best it can be. Call us for help. (828) 255-4535