If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (828) 255-4535

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Handling Mold in Your House

2/23/2017 (Permalink)

Handling Mold in Your House

Moldy spots can be a huge problem for homeowners in Asheville NC. It discolors drywall and tile, it blackens your deck and makes your hardwood floors look scummy. More importantly it can adversely affect your health. The microscopic spores that are released by a moldy house can give you a host of symptoms from a runny nose to a serious fever.

Nearly all houses in North Carolina get fungal infestations from time to time, this article will try to explain how to prevent a bad fungal problem and what to do if you already have one.

Minor moldy stains are easily removed using household cleaning products. Try to clean up a big fungal spot can affect your health, especially if you suffer from allergies or have a weakened immune system. If a large issue is discovered, it is recommended that you rigorously protect yourself from inhaling the spores. This usually takes the form of a spore resistant gas mask.

Fungal spores are all over. It is a species of fungus that reproduces by releasing microscopic spores that lead to microbial growth. You are inhaling fungal spores or milldew spores right now as you read this.

The visible type of mold, called mildew, is easily recognizable. It begins as very small, dark spots then grows into larger colonies. It is that black material seen in the grout lines of your shower and outdoors deck boards, often found in shady areas. A surface that is mildewed is often difficult to tell apart from one that is dirty. To see if it is moldy, simply dribble a few drops of bleach on the spot. If the area lightens in a couple minutes, you probably have a mildew problem. Otherwise, the surface is just dirty.

High concentrations of colonies are easy to smell. If the characteristic stale smell of mold is ascertained, look for it under carpets, damp areas, in dark places and under the house. Try to clean these areas quickly with bleach, as if left untreated the infestation will likely spread and require professional help from an environmental hygienist who are located throughout North Carolina.

Removing moldy spots from areas larger than a couple square feet is more difficult. Special precautions must be taken in order to fully protect yourself. The precautions serve not only to protect contamination of the rest of the souse but also to protect you from inhalation of damaging fungal spores. Below are listed some precautions you can take.

• Older clothes should be worn that you can throw away after cleanup.

• Respiration apparatus should be worn, as well as rubber gloves and goggles.

• Ensure that you are in a well ventilated area.

• Make an air tight seal around the moldy washing materials after you are done cleaning and are ready to throw them out.

• Moisten the moldy places with a spray bottle while you work. This will act as a retardant of the spores spreading

• Turn off the AC and heater to prevent lose spores from circulating around the house and establishing new colonies.

If you need to open up the wall in order to remove a moldy spot, be liberal in your removal of areas outside the visibly affected parts. Colonies start very small and microbial growth is impossible to see. It is likely that the seemingly clear areas around a mold stain are also infected and need to be removed as well. Obviously, be safe when using power tools to removes sections of wall and use caution when working near power outlets.

If moisture damage has been neglected for a long period of time, it is likely there will be rot in these places. It is essential remove all portion of rotted areas and replace them as these are beyond repair and will often foster the spread of more colonies.

Fungal infestations are a common problem in households and can get bad very quickly. This can have repercussions on you finances and your health. It is important to watch vigilantly for the beginnings of an infestation or you may find yourself having to call an environmental hygienist. When dealing with an insurmountable problem or issue with any type of fungus, you can always call professionals. Many are located in Asheville NC as well as throughout North Carolina. Visit http://www.SERVPROashevilleeast.com if you suspect mold is in your home or business.

Other News

View Recent Posts