Is There A Moldy Odor In Your House, It Could Be Mold
Mold Damage - That Musty Odor
In many cases, the first sign that you have mold is the smell. Most people call it "that musty odor." Unfortunately, if you smell it, that means you are already breathing it in.
Fairview mold damage, like anywhere else, starts with that smell. It's produced by microbial volatile organic compounds or MVOCs. The health problem with mold spores is toxic compounds called mycotoxins. These are what can cause minor and eventually, major health problems.
Why is the musty odor the first sign? Because mold doesn't start to grow in the middle of a coffee table in the middle of a living room. It gets started in the dark, hidden in places like under carpets, inside walls and unfortunately in HVAC systems. SERVPRO inspectors and technicians have the training and access to equipment and cleaning agents to scrub and eliminate mold from your business or home. The only way to get rid of the smell is to get rid of the mold. If the source of the spores is in carpets, floors or hidden behind walls, then our technicians will be able to use anti-fungal cleaning agents to kill the spores.
Before that is started, our professionals will put into place dehumidifiers to begin reducing the moisture of the affected property and surrounding area. Exhaust fans are placed at exit points to blow all mold released by the cleaning process outside the building. If our inspectors find that your HVAC system has not been compromised, then all vents will be sealed to prevent contamination during the cleaning process. If the HVAC has been compromised, then our technicians will need to use anti-fungal foggers to 'scrub' every inch of your air ducts. Fans will be set up to force air through the system to blow all trace of the spores out and thoroughly dry the duct work as well.
Mold is a serious threat far beyond staining walls, ceilings, and carpets. An infestation will keep you out until it has been cleaned, inspected and approved for occupation. With no rain forecasted until the weekend, now is the perfect time to call us here at (828) 255-4535 if you think you may have a mold problem. SERVPRO of Asheville East is prepared to help you restore your home or business to its original state.